Is the work exempt from Building Regulations?

Certain types of building work are classed as exempt and don’t need Building Regulations approval. However, they may need planning permission. Here are some common examples:

  • Buildings not used by people
  • Caravans or mobile homes
  • Greenhouses and agricultural buildings (unless used for retail etc)
  • Temporary buildings – not intended to remain more than 28 days
  • Ancillary buildings – such a building site office
  • Small detached buildings
  • Having a floor area which is not more than 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation, and is a building(a) No point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or
    (b) Which is constructed substantially of con-combustible materials. (The exemption applies to combustible materials if the floor areas of the building are no greater than 15m2)
  • Extensions – the extension of a building, (less than 30m2 floor area) by the addition at ground level of:(a) a conservatory (see note below), porch, covered yard or covered way; or
    (b) a carport that opens on at least two sidesPlease note: An extension must be substantially glazed before it can be termed a conservatory. If heated, it must have a separately controlled heating system, safety glazing and must be separated from the house by external quality walls, windows and doors.